What is Micro-IVF
Micro-IVF is a more successful alternative to Intrauterine Insemination (IUI). Sher Institutes for Reproductive Medicine I is proud to introduce Micro IVF, an IVF plan for a substantially reduced fee vs. conventional In Vitro Fertilization (IVF). These packages are available to women under the age of 35 that meet certain other medical requirements. This procedure is offered at select Sher clinics. Please call your nearest Sher Fertility office for more information costs and availability of Micro IVF*.
Micro-IVF is a gentle, low-stimulation form of IVF. Using Micro-IVF the ovaries of a woman are minimally stimulated, using low doses of oral medications (like clomid or femara) or gonadotropins, follicle-stimulating hormone and luteinizing hormone, in order to encourage the growth of a small cohort of eggs (some women though will still be high producers even with this low stimulation). Once mature, the eggs are retrieved and fertilized in the lab, and the resulting embryos are transferred back into the woman’s uterus. Genetic screening of embryos is also possible before fresh day 5 transfer with CGH should one wish.
Micro-IVF is less expensive, primarily because you are using much less medication and we offer a discounted price as well. However, keep in mind that because you are producing fewer embryos, it is less likely that you will have excess embryos to freeze at the end of the cycle.
This procedure is best utilized by women with a good ovarian reserve (who will produce a good number of eggs in response to even low amounts of stimulation), women with very low ovarian reserve (who will produce a low egg number even with high stimulation in which case low stimulation makes the most sense). It is also a good alternative for women who wish to minimize cost as well as their exposure to needles, hormones, or anesthesia.
What to consider using Micro-IVF vs. IUI
Consider the following:
- The average birth rate with IUI is under 10% per cycle
- Anticipated birth rate with Micro-IVF in the same population group would be about three times greater (at least 30% per cycle) than IUI
- When measured in terms of the cost per baby rather than cost per cycle of treatment, Micro-IVF is far more efficient than IUI
The fees for our Micro-IVF plans include the following:
- Full coordination with nurse and Physician
- Ultrasound monitoring of follicle growth
- Egg retrieval
- Fertilization (by ICSI) and embryo culture to the blastocyst stage
- Pre-Embryo transfer Assisted Hatching (when indicated)
- Ultrasound guided transfer of cleaved the embryo(s) on day 3 or blastocyst(s) on day 5 or 6
*Micro-IVF is available through select SIRM offices. For more information, call your nearest office directly.
Understand more about Micro IVF – An Affordable and Successful Alternative to IUI